What is a FUT Hair Transplant?
AT our Edmonton clinic, one of the hair transplant procedures Dr. Nakatsui uses to extract healthy hair is known as Follicular Unit Transplantation (FUT), which is still regarded as the current gold-standard technique. FUT is in fact a very imprecise term but refers to the harvesting of follicular units using a s single-bladed scalpel from the back and sides of the scalp in a single strip or ellipse. Some people refer to this as strip surgery.
Although Dr. Nakatsui first started using this hair restoration technique over 19 years ago, there have been many refinements to the extraction method. One of them is a two step procedure whereby he first scores the skin with a hardened, ultra-sharp scalpel and then carefully and slowly dissects down between the hair follicles with the assistance of multiple skin hooks to spread the tissue apart. This makes the procedure longer but Dr. Nakatsui feels this is necessary to preserve as many hair follicles as possible. Once this hair has been carefully harvested, the donor area is closed in two layers with sutures and/or staples, often with a trichophytic closure. This is a type of closure where one edge of the donor is area is beveled to encourage hairs to grow through the scar. FUT is an extremely efficient procedure because over three to four thousand grafts can be obtained from a single ellipse.
The implementation of this simple idea requires artistry, careful attention to detail, and meticulous technique throughout each step of the procedure. Dr. Nakatsui incorporates all of these elements together and the technique he uses has been termed Ultra Refined Follicular Unit Grafting by others.
What Makes our FUT Procedure Special?
- We have done thousands of successful FUT and FUE hair transplant surgeries in our Edmonton clinic
- Dr. Nakatsui is one of the most experienced hair transplant surgeons in Canada
- We have been awarded the Consumer Choice Award for best hair restoration for 11 years
- We specialize in dense packing and the lateral slit technique
- We only use single bladed scalpels for extraction of the donor in FUT surgeries
- We use custom made implanters to optimize the insertion of all our hair implants
- Dr. Nakatsui is one of only a few physicians in Canada capable of transplanting over 4000 grafts in one session
- Dr. Nakatsui is one of 4 Canadians who is capable of doing Ultra-Refined Follicular Unit Hair Transplants.
For these reasons and others, we believe that Nakatsui Hair Transplant is your best choice for hair transplant surgery in Edmonton.
All the photos on this page come from an FUT hair transplant procedure we performed over 10 years ago. With dense packing and the lateral slit technique, we were able to achieve these results in one surgery. Even today, many hair transplant surgeons cannot achieve this density in one pass.
Once all the donor hair has been extracted, it is important to remember the other aspects of a hair transplant still have to come together. From graft dissection to recipient site creation to graft insertion, this is where Nakatsui Hair Transplant truly excels.
Dr. Nakatsui can tailor your results to what you are looking for. If you are looking for a denser result or if you are wanting a less dense look, he can do this for you in a completely, natural way. For more of our before and after results, check out our Results page.
Advantages of FUT Hair Transplants
- Most efficient way to obtain large numbers of follicular units
- Linear scar that is usually easy to conceal as long as the surrounding hair is not too short.
- Frequently get better grafts as they can be shaped perfectly under the microscope
- Lower cost
Disadvantages of FUT Hair Transplants
- Linear scar at donor site
- Sometimes unable to trim hair short at donor site because of linear scar
What is the Cost of a FUT Hair Transplant in Edmonton?
The cost of a transplant depends on the area being transplanted and the desired density. We have covered this topic in detail here.
What Areas Can Hair Be Implanted Into?
The answer is that technically any area of the body can have hair inplanted into it. The most common area is of course the scalp. Hair can also be successfully implanted into eyebrows, eyelashes, sideburns, beard, and chest. It can also be successfully implanted into scars.